Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Understanding

The other day Angel and I were leaving mom's house and discussing dinner. She wanted Krystals and I didn't. I was driving and so I went to the drive through at Krystals. After getting the food, Angel reminded me that Krystals is not as good when you take it home.

Bottom line: This is a great example of my selective perceptions and how the book talks about meaning and experience which all led to bypassing. Our experience had taught us that Krystals are just better when fresh but I wanted to get home so I perceived that her goal was the same.

I understood her words but I did not understand her meaning. "Getting dinner at Krystals" meant two different things to two different people. People were speaking but communication was not happening. Deciding what the sender means before deciding on an interpretation is something I need to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment